Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Law Enforcement Using Social Media to Investigate Youth

The issue of whether law enforcement officials should use social media tools to find clues about teens' lives is kind of a no-brainer. If it's out there, then why not, right? I am always a little bit confounded when students are upset that they can be held accountable for what they say or post on social networking sites; after all, even when privacy settings are working their hardest, this is still a public space.

The other day, I was interviewed by one of our local TV news outlets about law enforcement retrieving information from Facebook and text messages to piece together the story an incredibly sad case of a teen suicide/homicide. Yes, I actually said "no-brainer" in the interview. Here's the story:

Murder-Suicide Suspected in Lakeland Case

I'll weigh in again on this later. I have a fantastic story to relate about a speaking engagement I did with the Center for Child Protection in Austin, Texas, earlier this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The other day, I was interviewed by one of our local get instagram followers instantly TV news outlets about law enforcement retrieving information from Facebook and text messages to piece together the story an incredibly sad case of a teen suicide/homicide.